Friday, July 01, 2005

Like Sands Through An Hourglass, So Are The Days Of Our Lives

You know how sometimes things happen beyond your control, and at first it's kinda traumatic, but then, later, it turns out to be a blessing? Well, time will tell if that's what happened to me today, but meanwhile I feel a little sad, somehow. With no real warning at all, Glenn transferred Brenda Skipworth & I to BACK CELL in the old building (a.k.a. "upstairs"), taking me away from my "home" for the past 17 months, and making me leave all my friends behind. Apparently, all of a sudden, our Line's business has dried up, or at least, will slow dramatically, and so, there will be about 10 of us who have to go; the cuts are not yet all done with. I've never worked in BACKS before, but I don't think the work will be too hard, and I was happy to see many familiar faces. And my old friends in KITS (Louise, Joe and Lucille) will be nearby; I've missed them terribly ever since they moved up there, sometime before last Christmas. Still, I should have Seniority Rights, so I talked to a Union Steward first thing. Terry gave me the paperwork to fill out over the weekend, but I may or may not go ahead with filing a grievance. On the one hand, where I ended up is not so bad; I've actually worked under this supervisor (Lucian) AND this Lead (Kathy) before, and I like them both. But I feel like I've been shipped off to Siberia. I feel...betrayed, somehow. And it's not right, to take someone who's been there 5 years (on July 17), when there are 300 "new hires" under me, many who are still on probation. Someone did tell me that they couldn't move only new hires; that they needed experienced hands to help smooth the transitions and all. Whatever. I'll miss Janie and Bobby the most, boss-wise. The FRIENDS I'll miss I can't even BEGIN to talk about. Sadness.