Wednesday, December 20, 2006

My truck!

It's been almost six months since Jeff took possession (on Saturday, June 24th, 2006) of my old 1978 GMC pickup. He's done a lot of "remodeling" since then, which I have yet to have the privilege of seeing. Well, yesterday after work, we happened to be side-by-side on Weber Drive, waiting for the light to turn green. It was raining, but I rolled down the window on the Yukon and stared and stared. I thought, "My truck! My truck!", because it will ALWAYS be MY truck in my mind. No longer a tame column-shift, the old '78 sports a floor shifter, and Headers, among other things, and is now a born-again HOT ROD. I couldn't stop grinning!! Jeff gave me a little "vrooom vroom" and then the light changed and our chance encounter was over. He turned east and I headed west, and I must admit that I had tears in my eyes!

This morning at work--we actually WORK together, we just happen to PARK on opposite ends of the plant complex--he says, "Well, you finally got to see the old truck". I said, "Yes, and last night I couldn't stop grinning, and now this morning I can't stop chuckling, as I think about what all those other people around us must have been thinking as they watched me stare and stare and grin and grin at you". Heh!

The old truck holds sooo many memories--28 years' worth! I was 18 or 19 when I bought it, brand new. I remember that I was working at the dress factory (Russell Newman) in Saint Jo at the time, and still living at home. Paying just under $7,000.00, it was financed by my parents, and paid off a few years later by my then new husband, Bob. We brought newborn Sarah home from the hospital in it; her first ride was taken on the floorboard, in a laundry basket, I believe, as we hadn't yet purchased a car seat, and I KNEW it was dangerous to HOLD a baby in a car! I remember being nervous the whole trip (she was born in Denton). Why we didn't just go out and buy a carseat BEFORE going to the hospital I'll never know.

Today I got up at 2:45, left for work about 4:25, and worked from 5:00 A.M. until 3:30 P.M. We ran RYR backs nearly all day, and that is my least favorite back to run. We also ran about 18 NKS backs, which is one of my favorites. We are still, in order, Doug, George, Me, Butch, Donnie, & Vickie in the cell, with Jeff, Valerie, Maria and Jennifer off-line. Jennifer took the day off.

After work I went to Wal-Mart, then to Betty Rose's for Jeff's birthday cake, then to Lora's for 3 Mylar balloons, then home. We're having a big Christmas Dinner/30th Birthday Party tomorrow at work, our last day of work until January 2nd. Bob went to the farm for some non-burnable trash of dad's after supper, and Stovall came to pay his rent around 9:00 p.m.