Sunday, July 25, 2004

Hooray for weekends!

Saturday was hot and muggy, and Sarah & I were just chillin' at the house, when old friend, Prairie called to say she was in town (from Lubbock), and could we all go riding?  So, using our 3 horses:  Apache, Ranger & Gabby;  and Babe, a little mare owned by my co-worker, Ann S.; and Diamond & Lucky, two horses owned by a friend & neighbor, Janet F., we had enough horses for everyone.  It was me, Sarah, Prairie, Prairie's mom, Nancy, Nancy's husband's nephew, Peter, from New York, and Peter's girlfriend, Ann N.  We had a great ride, but the weather cut the ride short, as you can see in the picture--the one with the dark blue in the background!  Luckily, we got the horses and tack all squared away before the storm hit.  Later, Bob, Sarah & I went to Gainesville.  We ate supper at the Taiwan Restaurant on Grand Avenue.  They have a fantastic buffet, that included things like crab legs and sushi.  I am not too big on seafood, but Sarah ate both.  Her friend, Lael, taught her to like the raw fish dish...or at least, to be brave enough to eat it--HA!  After supper we shopped at Wal-Mart, and waited for our pictures to be developed...maybe a digital camera WOULD be nice?!  Sunday morning it was Mass at 8:00, then Bob & Sarah to Grandma H., while I went to my dad's.  The rain last night (0.65") was much needed, and the cold front that came through is pretty amazing for this time of year...I'm actually chilly!  This afternoon, Sarah (on Lucky), Janet on (Diamond), and I (on Ranger) rode around the lake.  Later, just Sarah and I rode the same horses on the road and cross country...I got a little sore, too!  The cool weather made my horse FRISKY! 
From the past--July 24, 1996:  I babysat Eland from 8:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. Sarah, Sherie B. and I went over to Forestburg in the evening so Sarah could practice roping.  We took Mollie and Lady and Donna (all 3 horses).  George Esparza brought some calves.  Brett B., age 9, roped a calf from horseback for the very first time, and got his hand tangled up somehow, and got a bad rope-burn, and swollen knuckles.
Mollie was Sarah's roping horse, a tall, Lineback Dun (Buckskin).  Lady was a little gray mare that belonged to Sherie, but we kept her at the farm with Mollie.  Donna was a sorrel mare that belonged to Uncle Gary H.   We probably kept her a year or two.