Friday, July 23, 2004

Wow! 2 days in a row!

This week went by pretty fast.  Worked on Military seats most of the week, then ATA, and wrapped cables in between.  Finished up the week with a new shipset of Military, and left work 23 minutes early today because we ran out of backs.  On the Military seats, I had an easy job; popping rivets to attach metal Life Vest Boxes.  The only hard ones were the quads (4 seaters), as they are heavy to move.  First, I turn the 4-seat section on its back, to pop the front rivets, then I stand it back up, then lay it down on its front, so I can pop the back rivets.  Then I set the section upright again.  Each seat is called a PAC, so a quad is essentially a 4-PAC--Ha!  Ann has been on vacation all this week, and she was missed.  But she came to visit me at the farm on Wednesday evening, along with her son, Cory, her sister, Sharon, and Sharon's daughter, Ronnie.  Ronnie's 9-year old daughter rode Apache in the horse pasture, and Cory & Ann took turns riding Babe barebacked.  I rode (Ranger) with Janet Felderhoff (on Diamond) Monday night, and we heard the coyotes howl at dusk.  Last night (Thursday) I rode (Apache) with Sarah (on Ranger's bare back) till good dark.

On this day in 1992 (Thursday), when I was 33 & Sarah was 10:  Sarah rode her bike to the Library; she stayed there a long time.  Dad called me from Glenn Hess's repair shop to take him home, and my pickup wouldn't start (again).  So I drove Bob's, but I had a hard time getting it to back out of the driveway.  It would start all right, but it kept dying when I tried to go up into the street.  I had to pump the gas like crazy.  Both our pickups are on their last legs, I'm afraid.  Prairie & Emelia Endres came over on their bikes, and Sarah went riding with them.  Their faces were SO red when they came back!  Stacie & Andrew came at 3:30.  Then Sherie came in, too.   I fixed 5-lbs. of potatos for supper, for Sarah, Sherie, Stacie, Andy and Bob, and there weren't too many leftovers!  Later, Sarah, Sherie, Prairie & Emmy went bike riding.  They came home after sunset, so I grounded Sarah from her bicycle for four days.

Our pickups have had their bad times, all right, but Bob always manages to fix them up, and we are still driving them...a 1977 GMC High Sierra, and a 1978 GMC Sierra Classic.  Sarah wouldn't tell anybody she was grounded from biking, I don't know why.

Sunday, July 23, 1995 (Sarah was 13 years old):  Sarah & I left early and picked up the trailer over at Paul Endres's...then we headed to Bonita.  Gates...got a bucket of horse cubes and from out of nowhere the horses came running.  Sarah caught & saddled Mollie and Gates and his daughter, Mila, caught & saddled the stallion...Mila will be 10 years old in two weeks.  Gates and I drove to town (Nocona) ...to buy a newspaper & to get gas, then we went to his house, where his wife, Karen, and their son, Eli were.  Gates cooked breakfast for everyone,  and by the time the food was ready, the girls (Sarah & Mila) showed up on their horses, and they came in to eat, too...Afterwards, Gates did all the washing up, while Karen & I looked at old pictures of when they still lived in Canada, and of the horses they used to own.  Finally it was time to go...we loaded Mollie in the trailer and we headed home.  Tonight, Sarah rode Lady.  Mollie has a swollen area on her withers, and some places where the stud rubbed off the hair on her withers, so she should just rest for a few days.

Huh, I don't remember if that was our first or our second attempt to breed Mollie, so that Sarah could raise/train a replacement horse.  Mollie did get PG, but I guess she was just too old to carry, as she lost the baby both times.  Gates is our farrier, and a good friend.  When old Mollie couldn't give us a foal, we ended up buying a 5-month old weanling from Gates, out of his registered paint mare, Sophie, and by his AQHA registered stud, Kid.  Kid's registered name was Spencer's Poco Barton, and Sophie's registered name was Rangerette's Image...yes, you guessed it, they are the parents of Sarah's horse, Ranger, who is now 8 years old.  And lastly,

Tuesday, July 23, 1996 (when I was 37 & Sarah was 14):  Sarah had Dance Team practice from 7:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.  I babysat Eland 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.