Saturday, August 28, 2004

Good-bye, Sarah

Well, it is shortly after 9:00 a.m., and the Daughter has left for Longview for the 5th Fall in a row. The last time. I have a feeling that from here on out, time will fly by, and before we know it, we will all be going through more & different transitions once again. Will she spend one more summer at home, working the native grasslands; cutting, raking & baling??! Will she find that perfect job, and will it be near or far away?? Will she meet & fall in love with the perfect man for her, or will God lead her in another direction altogether? Will she become a missionary in a foreign land, and maybe marry there? Will she live on a ranch and work cattle & train horses? Well, why not? It could happen! She will soon be at a crossroads--how exciting!! I'm reminded of a song by Don McLean that I used to like, called, "Crossroads". Of course, as a broody teenager, it had different meaning for me, but MAYBE it makes sense even today..."You know, I've heard about people like me, but I never made the connection; they've walked one road to set them free, then find they've gone the wrong direction. But there's no need in turning back, 'cause all roads lead to where I'm at; and I believe I'll walk them all, no matter what I may have planned." Changing the subject perhaps...I remember riding my bicycle out to the Red River, where my middle brother, Doug, lived in an old two-story house with some other guy friends. I sat in the back doorway, and gazed out at the Red River Valley, while listening to a vinyl LP of Don McLean, and I remember hearing that song ("Crossroads"). I could see the "Open Book" rock on the side of the hill in the distance. I also remember how very tired I was from my 10 + mile ride out there, and how I asked my bro to give me a ride back home (to the farm), and that he said NO! I was young and skinny back then, but my bike only had 3 speeds--Ha! Well, that's my post for today. As random, and jumbled up, as my mind is, over my Babys' leaving--once again. But, happy, too. Life is good, it really is. I'm excited for her; she has a bright future ahead of her! Good luck, Tank. I love you.