Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Happy Anniversary

I think I understand now what the LEAN MANUFACTURING is all about. The Japanese, who sold us the concept, are slowly making us all insane. Why they want to do this, only time will tell. Today, as I worked in The Cell (which is closely akin to working on The Line), I came to a point where I wanted to scream...everytime I turned around, there were two backs waiting for me to tape. I would pick one up and do my part, then pass it over to Valerie, then turn around and--AAKKK!!!--another back had been added to my pile. The number never changed; it was as though I was going nowhere! Was I even alive and working, or was it all a dream??!! You see, the way we used to do things (in the old days, BEFORE L.M.), we did work-orders in batches. You brought an order to your table, you started it alone and you finished it alone, and then you got another. There was a sense of accomplishment as you went through your day; you could actually SEE the finished product there at hand. Not so anymore, sadly. Oh, I suppose I could look over from time to time and see the rack of finished seat backs getting fuller, but who has time?! Sigh. By the way, I missed my anniversary; it was last Sunday, July 17th--5 years at The Wonderful World of Weber. (I wonder if I could be fired for this kind of talk--just kidding you guys!! Love you all!!!!) Heh, heh.