Sunday, February 17, 2008

Four Anniversaries And One Birthday

February 17th must be some kind of Special Something. On this day 50 years ago, in 1958, Vince Forrester married Irma Starkey. Their daughter Mona and I used to work together, ride horses together, we even shared a house together (for one year) way back when. On this day in 1971, 37 years ago, my cousin Ann died from injuries she sustained the day before, when a vehicle that someone was towing broke free and crossed the median and hit Ann's car. On this day 29 years ago, in 1979, my best-friend-from-school Gloria Hess married Jan Donald "J.D" Coker. And on this day 2 years ago, in 2006, my best-buddy-from-work Jeff Smith married HIS best friend, Brenda Carson. I guess a birthday is an anniversary of sorts, and Bob's mom celebrates her 87th today!!

Sarah and I went to the farm this morning for brunch. Doug & Lynda, Carol & Gene, Kat, and Amanda & Christian were all there. Amanda had a "goodie sack" for my dad (Christian's great-grandpa) for Valentine's Day. She said that she and Tommy are planning on getting married around the first of October. I am so happy about that! She has been so good for Tommy and for Christian. I fed Dad's calves their range cubes before we came home.

At noon we ate lunch at The Center Restaurant to help celebrate Bonnie's 87th birthday. There were so many of us that we required two large tables! Those present were: Bob, Sarah & I, Don & Martha, Todd, Brittani & Shane, Toby, Jessica & Jasmine, Paul & Nancy, Trisha, Dennis & Kitty, Mark, Steve, Jennifer & Brett, and of course the guest of honor, Grandma Hess. After lunch we all went to Mom's for cake, visiting and gifting.

At 2:00 p.m., Bob, Sarah and I went to the Knights of Columbus Hall where the they were celebrating Vince & Irma's 50th. It was so wonderful to see the whole family together! But we left soon after saying "Hello" to everyone...Sometimes I just feel the need to BOLT. Sometimes I just can't handle crowds, even small ones.

Later, Sarah and I took our dogs, Floyd & Big B, for a walk. We went along the creek that runs through the city park, where we could take our dogs off their leashes and let them run freely. I found a petrified sand dollar in the creekbed and Sarah found a neat, scalloped shell.