Saturday, February 09, 2008

Miley

Today was a good day in many ways. In fact, it's been an interesting week. I took, and passed, a test on Wednesday at work to change my status from an Assembler "B", which is a Labor Grade 4, to an Assembler "A", which is a Labor Grade 6. It means I will now "top out" at $15.97 rather than $14.77, a difference of $1.20 per hour more. The money is nice, but mostly I did it to protect my job, if ever there should be another layoff.

After work that day, Doug, Dad and I gathered and sorted cattle, and hauled 6 weaner calves to the sale barn. In the process, we discovered a 4-month old calf with a sore foot, so we roped it and had a look, but found nothing. Then Dad and I went to the sale barns with the stockers while Doug stayed behind to feed hay for Dad. While Dad waited for his turn to unload, I walked to Dr. Tisdale's office to get some medicine for the calf with the sore foot. You gotta love our small town: The note on the door from the Doc said he was at the far south chute, testing cows, and that if I could find what I needed, to help myself, and then just leave him a note on his desk. Heh! I did go in and try to find the stuff Doug wanted, but the only Tetracycline I could find was a large bottle of tablets, and we wanted an injectable. Dad said he'd get the medicine the next day when he went to pick up his check from the sale of the calves.

Yesterday after work, I got a phone call out-of-the-blue, from an old girlfriend from Saint Jo that I hadn't talked to in years, Melinda G. It was so wonderful talking to her again, and I know we will see each other soon, because she recently moved back to Saint Jo. We are the same age, and I met her when I worked at Russell Newman my Senior year in High School...Thirty years ago!! We've talked on and off over the years since then, but it's been a while!

Today I got another call from a good friend that I haven't seen since our last day of work before the Christmas Break, Friday, December 21. Jeff transferred to another Department in another building the first of the year. He called this afternoon but we were at the movies and I texted him to ask if there was an emergency, and he texted me back that he was "Just calling to see what's going on". Awesome!! The older I get, the more I appreciate the friends who make the effort to keep in touch; may I start doing the same! His wife, Brenda, gave me a beautiful gold necklace with a "praying-hands" pendant for Christmas from the family, which I cherish dearly and wear constantly.

The movie we were watching was Hanna Montana, and it was in 3-D, my first time to see a 3-D picture. It was fun!! Imagine that!! It was Me, Sarah, Loren and Emily. We went to the 12:30 showing at the Rave in Corinth. It was funny to watch the people in front of us, trying to grab the confetti flying all around us, that wasn't really there. 3-D glasses on--confetti. 3-D glasses off--no confetti. After the movie we went to the Sears at Vista Ridge Mall in Lewisville, to replace a broken Craftsman tool for Bob. They exchanged the tool for free, with no receipt and no questions or anything. I bought a ruler for work, and some vac bags. Then we went to B.J.'s Brewery, also my first time there. I tried one of their brews of the month, a light beer named "Blonde", which was good. Sarah and I ate pizza, also a specialty of theirs. Loren's shrimp tacos looked interesting, and Emily liked her little burgers. We tried to go to the zoo when we got back to Gainesville, but they were already closed.

All-in-all it was a nice day. At home Sarah showed me some clips of the whole Hanna Montana/Miley Cyrus thing on the Internet...I never even knew! I never saw her show on T.V. or anything. I know she's for little girls, but she's so darn cute and likable...and that 3-D thing was just too cool!