Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Still Icy

Sunday and Monday I stayed home due to the cold and ice. Only four people (out of eleven) in my area showed up to work on Monday: Doug, George, Maria and Jeff. Today we were all there except for Donnie. We ran RYR all day. This morning the doorlocks on my one-ton were frozen so I drove the Yukon to work, and Sarah hitched a ride to Gainesville with Amy after Amy dropped the boys (Matt & Seth) off at school here in Muenster. Sarah's car was in the shop here in town but then they told her she needed to take it to Brown's in Gainesville, so, when Sherie came back this way to pick up the boys (Seth & Matt) from school, Sarah rode back to Muenster with Sherie, then drove her Cadi to Brown's, and I picked her up when I got off work. It all worked out. When I was driving to Brown's, I saw my old '78 coming up alongside of me, and I stuck my hand out and waved, and Jeff gave me a "VROOM! VROOM!". I was so busy staring that I nearly hit the slow-moving car in front of me, and almost missed my turn (into Brown's). Heh! Sarah said she saw the '78 go by, but she didn't see me; I took the west driveway and drove all the way around the entire complex--I saw her car parked out back--then I found her in the very front. I guess I expected to find her at the service center doors. When I got home, I fed/watered the dogs & the cats, got the trash can off the curb, and walked up (the one block) to get the mail. By now the doorlocks on my truck were thawed, so I decided to see if the battery was still up. The truck started, so I went to the D.I. and bought burgers and tots, and a pack of Salem regulars (whew!), and I went to the farm. I ate supper with my dad, got in his mail and his newspaper, took out and burned his trash, and fed his dog. I was very surprised at how much ice is still out there--way more than we have. The fences and grasses are still coated; even the electric fence of Paul's across from dad's is heavily coated, and sagging. I saw the horses from atop Becker's Hill and they seemed OK. Two were at the hay feeder and two were off grazing. Mel says the ponds are only half-frozen over, so they should have plenty of (cold!) water. Mel fed hay for dad today and Doug did it on Sunday. Dad was going on and on about what good kids he has, but I think he was just glad to have the company tonight. Still, those burgers WERE mighty tasty! The weatherman says we might get some snow tonight! P.S. Jeff told me today that my dog's momma died over the weekend. Her name was "Blackie" and she was about half the size of my "Big B.". They don't know why she died.