Wednesday, January 24, 2007

I'm still a little looped, so I don't know how this will turn out--HEH!

Monday and Tuesday I worked 10 hours (5:00 A.M. to 3:30 P.M.). Today I took a paid vacation day, as did Kat. She and I and Carol went to Ft. Worth for the 1:30 funeral of Melvin Kaiser, our mom's 1st cousin. It was a nice service and we were glad we went. The priest, Father Kelley, said he was good friends with our new priest, Father Ken. Melvin died last Saturday, after suffering a massive stroke the previous Saturday (January 13). He was 66 years old.

On the way home we stopped in Denton at the Catholic-goods store called Divine Mercy. It was Kat's & Carol's 1st time to visit the store. I bought a couple of books: THE CONFESSIONS OF ST. AUGUSTINE, and SUMMA OF THE SUMMA, The Essential Philosophical Passages of St. Thomas Aquinas' 'Summa Theologica', Edited and Explained for Beginners (that would be me!). I also got a crucifix necklace for Mel's BD, and some birthday cards for Mel's, Carol's and Doug's upcoming BD's, and a condolence card for Joannie.

We ate supper in Sanger at Miguelito's, and that's why I am slightly looped--I drank two "top shelf" margaritas while there. I asked the waiter what the difference was between a "top shelf" margarita and a regular margarita, and he said the top shelf one was bigger and had the "good" tequila--HEH!! I'm thinking that maybe it just means that they double the strength or something, as I was pretty looped after, no, even before I finished the first one. It WAS mighty tasty! It was Kat's first time to eat there.

We stopped at a gas station/convience store in Valley View so Kat could use the bathroom, and while there we bought dad's cigarettes (and a pack for me), so we wouldn't have to stop again once we got to Muenster. I must admit, that I thought we were still in Sanger, so that tells you how drunk I was. Oh, did I mention that I was also the one doing the driving??!! We must have seen a dozen cops out today, too--I wonder what the deal was?

We went straight out to the farm when we got home, to see what dad wanted us to see...Well, today he bought a brand-new side-by-side refrigerator! It is very nice! He was pretty tickled about it. His old one was going down; it was "only" 23 years old! "That's not old!!" he said. "The one in the tankhouse is 60 years old and it's still going!" Mom and dad bought it the year after they were married, from the Gremmingers, for $150.00. Which, dad said, was a lot of money back then. They were married in 1947 and they only had an icebox (not electric) until they bought the refrigerator the next year (in 1948, the year Kat was born). Sixty years. Wow!